Myrtle Oak Clinic is now offering online consultations via online sessions. Online counseling allows you to access eating disorder services from wherever you are located. We offer this service to those affected by COVID-19, people living in regional & remote Australia or overseas or those who are living/working in locations that offer limited access to treatment. We also offer this service to those with mobility issues who are not able to attend one of our clinics. Online sessions offer another flexible and more accessible treatment option for our clients needing assessment and ongoing treatment with a Psychologist, Social Worker or Dietitian.
Online sessions offer the experience of a face-to-face consultation with your Clinician (via webcam) from the convenience of your home or office, in a place you feel comfortable to discuss your health related needs. The ability to see your clinician via webcam and vice versa makes communication far more superior than talking on the phone or via email. It allows us to show you diagrams from our white board, paper sheets and books or use PowerPoint slides projected directly onto your screen. Your clinician can also send you any necessary information sheets via email during the consultation for you to refer to afterwards.
In order to support you throughout treatment we will require you to link in with your local doctor. Communication with your chosen doctor will help us to make treatment decisions, ensure medical safety, and allow us to build strong relationships with your medical team ensuring that you feel well supported throughout your treatment.
Online counseling services include assessment and treatment for the following:
- Binge eating disorder
- Dieting disorders
- Family therapy
- Trauma-related difficulties
- Comfort/emotional eating
- Compulsive exercise
- Weight management
- Support pre and post weight loss surgery
- Relationship issues
Benefits of Online Counselling
You may opt for a online appointment because:
- To access eating disoerder services not available to you face to face
- You find a convenient appointment time that suits your life and situation
- You are able to access counseling appointments quickly
- You are unable to physically get to an office location
- You are living in a remote or rural location
- You would prefer to have counseling from the comfort of your own home
- It just suits you better
- Coviu is a nationally recognised telehealth application. It is used worldwide in both professional and person environments.
- It may be accessed via computer, tablet, smart phone, TV.
Circumstances when Online Consultations are not recommended: For your protection and safety
- If you are in crisis, please contact the 24hr Life Line on 13 11 14
- Under the age of 18 without parental support
- If you are currently self-harming
- If you are dependent on drugs or alcohol
- If you have been diagnosed with personality disorder, bipolar or clinical depression
- If you are diagnosed with a severe mental illness that is not able to be controlled
- If you are experiencing domestic violence – emotional, physical or sexual phone: 1800RESPECT
1800 737 732
How do I book a Online consultation?
- Call our office on (02) 4362 3443 to book your online appointment. We will ask for your email address so that your dietitian can send you a email containing a web-link to join the online session.There is no Apps that you need to download.
- We will send you our information and consent sheet via email regarding Telehealth/Technology-based Clinical Consultations. Please read, sign and return to us via email prior to your consultation.
- We require payment at the time of appointment booking. This can be done by either a credit card payment with our receptionist over the phone or via EFT internet banking
What to do on the day of your appointment to create a positive consultation space:
- Have everything ready that you may need during your consultation. For example: pen and paper to write any notes or suggestions down. If you have specific questions that you want to ask the dietitian on the day please have them listed so you are less likely to forget. Have any products, packaging or food diaries by your side to refer to when requested.
- Prepare your consultation area: Where do you plan to sit? Is the space quiet enough to hear via the speakers or do you have your headphones ready? Is there a door to close to make sure you have a confidential space? Are you going to be free from distractions?
- 15 minutes prior to your appointment log onto your web-link and test your microphone, speakers and webcam are working properly. If you are having difficulties you may need to use headphones to improve the sound. Note: if you are having difficulties please contact your clinician via phone or email to advise before your appointments starts.
- When it is your appointment time you will be place in a holding area until your dietitian commences the session. Your session will be conducted just the same as if you were sitting in your clinician’s office.
- Have your diary or calendar handy to consider a suitable date and time for a review appointment to discuss your progress.
Toward the end of your session your clinician will discuss with you the need for any further sessions. If another appointment is needed your clinician will schedule an appointment time with you. You may choose to have further sessions via Online or in one of our clinics.
- We are registered with all private health funds, Medicare, NDIS and DVA. Currently due to COVID-19 Medicare, NDIS and DVA appointments may attract a rebate – this will be discussed with you at time of booking your appointment. Some private health insurance companies may offer a rebate for Online appointments. Please contact your health insurance company to find out.
- We require 24 hours notice of cancellation for all offline and online appointments otherwise our cancellation fee of $90 will apply. Please call the office on (02)43 623 443 or visit our contact page.