Myrtle Oak Clinic is now offering online consultations via Skype. Skype counselling allows you to access specialised services from wherever you are located. We offer this service to those living in regional & remote Australia or overseas or those who are living/working in locations that offer limited access to treatment. We also offer this service to those with mobility issues who are not able to attend one of our clinics. Skype sessions offer another flexible and more accessible treatment option for our clients needing assessment and ongoing treatment with a Psychologist, Social Worker or Dietitian.
Skype sessions offer the experience of a face-to-face consultation with your Clinician (via webcam) from the convenience of your home or office, in a place you feel comfortable to discuss your health related needs. The ability to see your clinician via webcam and vice versa makes communication far more superior than talking on the phone or via email. It allows us to show you diagrams from our white board, paper sheets and books or use PowerPoint slides projected directly onto your screen. Your clinician can also send you any necessary information sheets via email during the consultation for you to refer to afterwards.
In order to support you throughout treatment we will require you to link in with your local doctor. Communication with your chosen doctor will help us to make treatment decisions, ensure medical safety, and allow us to build strong relationships with your medical team ensuring that you feel well supported throughout your treatment.
Skype counselling services include assessment and treatment for the following:
- Binge eating disorder
- Dieting disorders
- Family therapy
- Trauma-related difficulties
- Comfort/emotional eating
- Compulsive exercise
- Weight management
- Support pre and post weight loss surgery
- Relationship issues
Benefits of Skype Counselling
You may opt for a Skype or online appointment because:
- To access specialised services not available to you face to face
- You find a convenient appointment time that suits your life and situation
- You are able to access counselling appointments quickly
- You are unable to physically get to an office location
- You are living in a remote or rural location
- You would prefer to have counselling from the comfort of your own home
- It just suits you better
- Skype is a nationally recognised application. It is used worldwide in both professional and person environments.
- It may be accessed via computer, tablet, smart phone, TV.
Circumstances when Online Consultations are not recommended: For your protection and safety
- If you are in crisis, please contact the 24hr Life Line on 13 11 14
- Under the age of 18 without parental support
- If you are currently self-harming
- If you are dependent on drugs or alcohol
- If you have been diagnosed with personality disorder, bipolar or clinical depression
- If you are diagnosed with a severe mental illness that is not able to be controlled
- If you are experiencing domestic violence – emotional, physical or sexual phone: 1800RESPECT
1800 737 732
How do I book a Skype consultation?
- You will need to have Skype available and ready to use on your chosen device for the consultation session. See the Skype website and follow the instructions to download the software on your device.
- Call our office on (02) 43623443 to book your Skype appointment. We will ask for your Skype details so that your dietitian can contact you for the consultation via Skype.
- We will send you our information and consent sheet via email regarding Telehealth/Technology-based Clinical Consultations. Please read, sign and return to us via email prior to your consultation.
- We require payment at the time of appointment booking. This can be done by either a credit card payment with our receptionist over the phone or via EFT internet banking
What to do on the day of your appointment to create a positive consultation space:
- Have everything ready that you may need during your consultation. For example: pen and paper to write any notes or suggestions down. If you have specific questions that you want to ask the dietitian on the day please have them listed so you are less likely to forget. Have any products, packaging or food diaries by your side to refer to when requested.
- Prepare your consultation area: Where do you plan to sit? Is the space quiet enough to hear via the speakers or do you have your headphones ready? Is there a door to close to make sure you have a confidential space? Are you going to be free from distractions?
- 15 minutes prior to your appointment log onto Skype and test your microphone, speakers and webcam are working properly. Try making a ‘test call’ to ‘Skype test call’ (in your contacts) to check the volume of your microphone and speakers. If you are having difficulties you may need to use headphones to improve the sound. Note: if you are having difficulties please contact your clinician via phone or email to advise before your appointments starts.
- When it is your appointment time your clinician will call you via Skype and your session will begin. Your session will be conducted just the same as if you were sitting in your clinician’s office.
- Have your diary or calendar handy to consider a suitable date and time for a review appointment to discuss your progress.
Toward the end of your session your clinician will discuss with you the need for any further sessions. If another appointment is needed your clinician will schedule an appointment time with you. You may choose to have further sessions via Skype or in one of our clinics.
- We are registered with all private health funds, Medicare, NDIS and DVA. Medicare, NDIS and DVA appointments need to be face to face to attract a rebate. Some private health insurance companies may offer a rebate for Skype appointments. Please contact your health insurance company to find out if Skype sessions are covered.
- We require 24 hours notice of cancellation for all offline and online appointments otherwise our cancellation fee of $90 will apply.